Yesterday VMware silently released a new version of its opensource cloud native platform. VMware Photon Platform 1.2 is available for download at github now. You can find the details of the new release in the release notes. Below are the highlights of the new release.
- Photon Controller now supports ESXi 6.5 Patch 201701001. Support for ESXi 6.0 is dropped.
- Photon platform now comes with Lightwave 1.2 which supports authenticating using windows sessions credentials. Given you’re using the CLI from a windows box.
- The platform now supports Kubernetes 1.6 and also supports persistent volumes for Kubernetes
- NSX-T support is improved
- Resource tickets have been replaced with quotas which can be increased and decreased. This is a big improvement in my opinion. The previous release wouldn’t let you change resource allocation which was a definite blocker for production use.
- The API is now versioned. Which means the API url now starts with /v1/
- Lightwave 1.2 is incompatible with earlier versions
- ESXi 6.0 is no longer supported
- The API is incompatible with previous API versions. But the good new is that it’s now versioned so this was the last time they broke the API (hopefully).
update 20-04-2017: Some updates taken from the github issues:
- HA Lightwave setup is no longer supported. Will be back in 1.2.1
- version 1.1.1 didn’t create any flavours at installation but 1.2 seems to create duplicate flavours.